Join us on this webinar to hear a senior executive from AOL share her experience on the practical aspects of leveraging the business and network effects of open source. Discussions will include:
- AOL’s open source strategy
- How open source impacts product development
- Lessons learned through the corporate use of open source at AOL
- A Q&A session with our speakers
Join us on this webinar to hear a senior executive from Yahoo! share his experience and perspective on leveraging the positive business and network effects of open source while simultaneously managing some of the challenges it presents. Learn more about how the right support and boundaries can:
- Unleash innovation
- Increase developer productivity and satisfaction
- Help bridge the cultural, organizational and geographic boundaries of world-class organizations
Lessons from Airbus: Increasing Innovation While Ensuring Open Source Compliance in the Aerospace & Defence Industry
This Webinar, presented by Black Duck Software and Airbus, will highlight some of the best practices learned and applied in Aerospace & Defence from other industries relative to intellectual property (IP) management, FOSS compliance and managing the complexities of open source
This webinar focuses on the issues related to improper use of open source software and how this can impact M&A and other partnering opportunities. Attendees will learn techniques to uncover potential issues and the benefits of properly managing your software assets to minimize delays and risks. Russell Hartz of SAP's Corporate Development organization discusses their strategy and perspective on the subject and how they approach this kind of technical due diligence.
Establishing Proper Open Source Governance: Why It's Important to Get it Right: Accenture's Real-World Perspective
Organizations often underestimate their need for effective open source governance. Given the issues that Open Source Software can present, establishing proper governance can prevent or repair costly and time-consuming challenges in management, licensing, security and policy while allowing companies to enjoy all the great benefits of open source.
Join Tomas Nyström, Global Open Source Lead of Accenture, and Phil Odence, VP of Business Development of Black Duck Software, to learn Accenture's perspective and recommendations for "getting it right," developed through their real-world experiences with OSS governance.
Cloud computing with its elastic, scalable, on-demand characteristics is a revolutionary style of computing, is transforming application development, and is being fueled by open source software. Most applications that exist today were not designed for cloud environments and need to be re-architected to reap its benefits. Development managers are faced with the challenge of “cloud-enabling” their applications while minimizing cost and risk.
Join Rob Bearden, former COO of SpringSource, Bill Portelli, CEO of CollabNet, and Tim Yeaton, CEO of Black Duck Software to learn about the benefits of distributed cloud environments, the abundance of open source available for cloud-enablement, and tips for re-architecting applications for distributed cloud environments.
Gartner predicts that “through 2014, no more than 50% of open-source investments by mainstream IT organizations will yield consistent long term TCO advantages over alternatives.” The reasons include the lack of a governance program to “filter, audit, track and manage open source assets in the enterprise.” In the same study they recommend “leveraging third-party commercial service and support to establish service-level agreements (SLAs) for OSS.”
The credativ Group and Black Duck will discuss these five key areas for effective governance:
- Policy– development and implementation of an open source policy
- Catalog– creation and management of a repository for open source components
- Acquisition – an automated approval/request process and workflow for acquisition of open source
- Compliance– automated checking and validation that only compliant code is used
- Support– commercial support of open source components
Make sure your company is part of the 50% that show long-term ROI and positive TCO impact with the use of OSS! Join Michael Meskes, President/Director of the credativ Group, and Peter Vescuso, EVP at Black Duck for a lively discussion
Develop Less, Produce More: How New Tools, Processes and Free Code are Redefining Software Development
Many large software projects are late, miss schedules and run over budget. The key to success may not be developing faster but rather developing smarter. This webinar, with thought leaders Tim Yeaton, CEO of Black Duck Software, and Bill Portelli, CEO of Collabnet, will answer the question of how to improve development by leveraging:
- An abundance of free and open source building blocks -- literally hundreds of thousands of projects that are available on the Internet -- are ready to be used rather than writing your own code and reinventing the wheel.
- New development processes embracing agile methods lend themselves to adapt to inevitable changing customer requirements and help eliminate unnecessary work that is typically spec’d with traditional waterfall approaches, plus are ideally suited to using open source building blocks.
- New cloud based tools are available that improve collaboration across distributed development teams, embrace agile methods and manage the unique challenges associated with multi-source development -- integrating open source with internal and other code
Open Source and Open Collaboration: How The U.S. Government Is Reinventing the Healthcare IT Industry
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is advancing the state of health data exchange through initiatives designed to create open standards and Open Source software. These are open collaborations with the public, spanning the whole of the healthcare industry, focusing on common solutions to the most urgent challenges.
Brian Behlendorf, open source pioneer, CollabNet co-founder/Board member and independent consultant to National Health Information Network CONNECT project, an open source software solution that supports health information exchange speaks about these initiatives.
With introductions by CollabNet CEO Bill Portelli and Black Duck Software CEO Tim Yeaton, Brian Behlendorf discusses:
- The direction of the work to enable the digitization and trusted transmission of medical data over the Internet
- What this means to the healthcare industry and technology
If you're a developer using open source code to speed time to solution, you know the benefits of working with FOSS. Perhaps you've contributed code back to a project, joined a FOSS community, or are thinking about starting your own project. Turn those ideas into actions by listening to FOSS developers who've made the leap into the limelight as Black Duck Open Source "Rookies of the Year 2010."
Join us for a webinar discussion lead by FOSS developers from the Diaspora, Activiti, VoltDB and RapidFTR projects. This diverse group of projects spans a personally-controlled social network, a powerful No-SQL database and a mobile application that lets aid workers collect, sort and share information about children in emergency situations. The Rookies discuss:
- FOSS trends
- How they initiated their projects and successes and challenges
- Provide advice for those of you planning or in the midst of your own open source projects
Ranging from "home-grown" to corporate-sponsored, humanitarian to BPM, the Rookies from Diaspora, Activiti, VoltDB and RapidFTR share their stories - and inspire you to create your own FOSS narrative